CARDBOARDIES WITH LICENSES

Cardboardies Cover

I drew this comic based on Tony Renouf’s, (Bored in a Record Shop), original creation of Cardboardies Cereal. You can see one of his MANY, MANY license’s comics HERE. Scroll down to the third comic page in that post and you can see what I mimicked to get my comic today.

As I’ve come to know Tony through his comics and blog, I’ve learned that he expresses his comic ideas without apology or compromise. He just does his thing. His comics aren’t for the faint of heart. Much of his work is violent, offensive, and smelly. (He has a real talent for making you smell his panels.) Be warned… you’ll find yourself laughing like you’re back in grade school watching a mischievous pal spurt milk out of his nose.

Then if you read enough of Tony’s work, you’ll notice that he takes on large issues like religion, factory farming, environmental degradation- and he pokes the hell out of cultural norms. My sense is that Tony often uses his work to say something important but I wonder if he’d ever admit to it. I imagine his response would be that he’s just having fun.

For some time I’ve wanted to do a comic borrowing from Tony’s style but with a Pamo’s World ‘general audience’ story. I asked Tony for his permission and he gave me a resounding thumb’s up. (Thank you Tony!) I’ve already learned a ton from observing his work and I have a strong feeling I’m about to learn a ton more from attempting to mimic it.

My Cardboardies version continues next week. So stay tooned!

Pamo

This entry was posted in About Creating Art, Comic, Improving skills, Webcomic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to CARDBOARDIES WITH LICENSES

1. lovetotsy says:

What’s going on over here? Are you cheating on those critters for another comic?

Liked by 1 person

2. …lol…(I’ll need to see your licence to “borrow” ideas Pamo)….love it, thank you for the tribute….and the spike in visits to my humble blog….back to work….

3. captelaine says:

Thanks for turning me onto another comic artist, I love Brad Perry’s Pirate Mike and a quick look at Tony’s stuff… tells me I’ll like his too… as always your work is outstanding… don’t forget your ‘artistic license’ I have one and use it every day πŸ™‚

• Pam Huggins says:

Thanks Elaine- I always appreciate your encouragement. My artistic license is right here in my desk drawer. I’ve been blowing the dust off it lately. Ha!
      Glad you checked out Tony’s work- I’m a huge fan of his stuff.

4. Ooh you did a fanzine! Love all the colours, it’s a fab tribute to Tony πŸ™‚
    Next up a collaboration? πŸ™‚

5. Elizabeth Fife says:

Pam,

Tony sounds like a generous guy, deep down! It’s a perfect world when we all can learn from one another without envy or looking over our shoulder. Hope to see what you have created soon!

Take care,
    Libby

6. libbyfife says:

Well, I don’t know what happened to my comment! Not such a fan of WordPress! But I do like your comic and I like that you riffed on Tony’s general idea. Waiting to see what is next!

Libby

• Pam Huggins says:

Your last comment went into the moderation cue since WP didn’t recognize your name. I know it’s frustrating and I’ve lost a few commenters because of the system. (The alternative is to have completely open commenting- but then I’m stuck moderating all the spammers. Ack! πŸ™‚ ) So thank you for your persistence.
      Have a great weekend!

7. Binky says:

Well at least it’s not a 007 license.

8. tame4455 says:

When water pistols are banned, only children will have water pistols. -A world I do not want to live in.

9. CPUGuy1 says:

Yeah, Right.
    You know how long it would take and how many boxes of CARDBOARDIES WITH LICENSES I would have to go through to find the LICENSES I want???
    I would be old, gray haired and ….
    What am I saying??? I’m over 55 and still eat Captain Crunch with Crunch Berries.

Never Mind! Bring them on … I’m kind of hungry. And I Got Milk.

• Pam Huggins says:

Cereal is one of those things I can’t stop eating! So I try not to stock much here at home but every now and then… gotta get me some cereal. Captain Crunch is fantastic!
      Thank you for your very funny comments. πŸ™‚

10. Tony McGurk says:

I could really use one of those licences at work some days. Great strip Pamo

11. Gruhn says:

Great tribute. He really has a distinct style. Nicely done Pamo!

12. Casually Employed says:

Its amazing what they put in the bottom of a cereal box nowadays!

13. Daniel Nest says:

Well done on mimicking Tony and giving him a Pamo twist! This reminds me…I need to get myself a Super Soaker. Uh…I meant…get Nathan a Super Soaker.

14. Pingback: PAMO AND CARDBOARDIES – THE WHOLE STORY | PAMO'S WORLD